Sunday, September 4, 2011

Stickless, grilless, delicious steak kabobs.

    I love weekends. They are the only time off my husband gets, which i'm appreciative he gets any considering his occupation. Today we went out on an adventure, and came back home with the appetite to prove it. Let me start by saying that we do indeed own a nice little charcoal grill. It works perfectly fine, but for some reason whenever we actually use it things go awry. Last time we tried to heat the coals in a little chimney we have, the chimney that is supposed to be fire-resistant caught fire. Oops. After that mishap, we did not have enough coals left to cook our kabobs all the way through, so we opted to finish cooking them indoors on a skillet. After trying the lone kabob that cooked on our crippled grill, and one from the skillet we realized the skillet option is surprisingly tasty as well. This gave birth to my own recipe.

LC's Stickless, Grilless, Steak Kabobs
Serves two.


1 green bell pepper
1 white onion
1 large tomato
2 pounds of kabob meat. (If your grocery store doesn't sell pre-packaged beef kabob, I imagine chuck would work well.)
Olive oil, to coat the skillet
A few dashes of ground pepper
Your favorite seasoning. (My must have for steak is Cavender's Greek seasoning.)



   Just so you guys know, my husband is excited about my blog too. So excited, he in fact wanted to take some action shots of me chopping the day away. Start by pre-heating your skillet on medium with a small amount of olive oil. Now it's time to chop our veggies! You can leave them in bigger chunks like you normally would for kabobs, or deviate from the course and cut them smaller. I like deviating. I also like flying off on tangents. I like to leave my tomato chunks large, but I prefer to cut my onion in the same fashion I do for my Philly's. Same goes for the bell pepper.

  
   When you are done, you should have a beautiful pile like this. I really love the color that green pepper gives, but you can also use red if you want (or if you forget things at the grocery store like I do.) Now you can add your nicely chopped veggies into your heated skillet. Add a few dashes of ground pepper. Cook these for 3 minutes until they start to soften a bit. 


  Now let's focus on the meat. Usually I do not eat red meat, so don't expect too many recipes containing it. Red meat is known to heighten your pain receptors, so for people with chronic pain issues it is usually a big no-no... but i'm totally okay with love-hate relationships. Sometimes I spoil myself. That and my husband would surely divorce me if I banned red meat entirely. While your veggies are cooking, go ahead and sprinkle some of your seasoning of choice onto your meat. Don't smother it, but don't skimp either! 


   Once your three minutes are up, your veggies should look something like this! Go ahead and add your meat into the skillet at this point. Turn the heat up to medium high. (My stove uses numbers instead of words, so it sits smack in the middle of five and six.) Allow this to cook for eight minutes covered, stirring a few times to make sure your meat cooks evenly. You will want to drain this a few times. I had to drain mine twice. This eliminates a lot of the fat from the meat and allows things to cook more efficiently. Your real gauge for time is if your meat is well browned. If you still need more time, don't feel bad for bending the rules a little bit!


     And now the best part of every meal. Consumption! You can easily serve this over a bed of rice. We prefer to eat it with beans, because that's just how we roll. This will leave you with a little bit of leftovers! I hope everyone has a happy and safe Labor day! Enjoy!

1 comment: