Friday, September 9, 2011

A pie for our troops.

  Sometimes I just feel like baking. And by baking, I mean sometimes I feel like making things that are pretty terrible for me, and I need to get rid of the extras I don't want looming in the house, taunting me. Sometimes I also just like to make things for people, especially because I know if I was having a crummy day, a nice big slice of chocolate chip pie would put a smile on my face. On occasion I send things to work with my husband. I don't often hear anything in response to what I send, but the picked clean pie plates that come home are a pretty decent indicator that it was well loved. This weekend we were at a barbecue with one of my husband's co-workers, and he made a special request for that "pie cookie thing." Ask and ye shall receive.

  All joking aside, I do like making things that my husband can bring into work, because I know that these people who aren't necessarily in harms way don't get very many "thank you's" or appreciation for the long shifts they pull and all the hard work they do. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the sacrifice ALL of our troops make, but I think it's kind of silly that our troops at home often go unacknowledged or under appreciated. Also a portion of these people are single, or living as geo-bachelors, so they do not have the opportunity to have a nice home cooked meal or treat as often as they would like. I figured even if it doesn't make a huge impact, at least it would mean something to someone or at least make their tummy happy for a little while. Getting off my soap box now!

 This pie is a frequent request from the man in charge himself, and the recipe actually started out as a present for him a couple years ago. For someone who has tried to make their diet better, I still have an unnatural love for Paula Deen. Every once in a while i'll be naughty and sideeye some of her recipes, and this pie is so well loved it's practically family. Let me also stress, this pie is not low calorie. I do sub I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, but that won't save you from the calories of the flour, chocolate and egg.

Chocolate Chip Pie
Courtesy of the Deen Brothers.
Creates two fairly large pies.


2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter (I subbed I can't believe it's not butter, and it works perfectly), softened*
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

*Tip- If you are anything like me, and either make this at the spur of a moment or are busy on the day you are making this, there is an easy and fast way to soften butter in the microwave. Take your two sticks of butter, place them in the microwave and microwave it for 5 seconds. Open the microwave and rotate your sticks so they are leaning on a different side then they were before. Microwave for another 5 seconds. I usually repeat this process 3 times until the butter is just slightly soft. Doing this too often will result in melted butter, and you do not want that!


 Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.


 For this first step, you are going to need a medium sized sifter. Place this over the top of a large bowl. Measure out your flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, then dump it into the sifter. Work everything through the sifter. If you have a couple of things that don't make it through the sifter, either push down on them until they crumble or toss them out. Set this bowl aside for now!


  I think my Dad knew I was destined to become a better cook. When I first moved away from home, he gifted me a beautiful set of Farberware pots & pans. When I got married, he gave me my favorite kitchen utensil EVER. My beloved Kitchen Aide stand mixer. I can't believe I made it to this many blog posts without it making it's debut.. so here it is in all of it's glory. I hope my Dad knows how much I appreciate this, and how often I use it. Heck, maybe I will tell him for the millionth time next week when I see him! In your mixing bowl, add your softened butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Keep the papers from your butter! I like to use these for greasing the pie pans. Cream the butter and sugars together. I like to beat it on the highest speed until it's nice and smooth.


  Add your tablespoon of vanilla extract. Now, add the eggs, one at a time, as in place one in and then mix until well combined.


  Fight that urge to eat it all right now! It's time to slowly add in the dry mixture. Add a little bit at a time, and mix well until it appears combined. Continue this process until all of the dry mixture has been added. Your dough should be nice, fluffy and super tempting. Dump in that mountain of chocolate chips. You can fold them in by hand, but I find mixing them in using the mixer distributes them more evenly in the dough.




  Using those papers I told you to save earlier, grease two nine inch pie plates. My favorite pie plates are Pyrex. The pies seem to cook more evenly using these instead of those disposable types you can buy at the grocery store. Split the dough evenly between the two plates, and spread them flat with a spatula. Place the pies into the oven on the middle rack and cook for 30-35 minutes. I usually opt for 35 minutes since the middle firms up better this way. If the top of your pie is browning too much by the 30 minute mark, feel free to cover it with some foil for the remaining baking time. 




  The end result. A beautiful cookie. Or pie.. which is it?! Whatever it is, it is fantastic. A little tip, it's really fantastic if you heat a slice for 20 seconds in the microwave. This is a pie that is so good people will ask for it again and again. I like how it creates two full pies, which makes it an easy gifting recipe, or easy to gift one and horde an entire pie for yourself, because you are a total glutton and just need an excuse to eat pie. I sent one of these with my husband to work today. I expect a clean pie plate in a few hours! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This big cookie would be a welcome sight for our troops, I am close to Ft Hood. It is a nice item to gift to someone or a group of people.
    Great recipe and the thought of a warm slice is making my mouth water. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! This pie also stays good for a while too! Added bonus! I bet adding ice cream or home-made whipped cream would be super too, but that's too difficult to transport to base and keep well.

    ReplyDelete