Thursday, October 20, 2011

Who doesn't love hot dogs?

  I'm not going to joke around about this. There is certain "junk" food I love. For example, I still love Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Certainly not all the time, but I always have a few boxes in my pantry just waiting to be enjoyed. Another thing I love is hot dogs. I like them wrapped in a blanket, I like them in a bun, I like them with beans and I really love them in this casserole by Hungry Girl. The great thing about hot dogs is that there are varieties that are nearly guilt free with a whopping 40 calories per frank. My all time favorite is Hebrew National, but I have tried Ballpark's turkey franks and they are pretty fantastic too.

Loaded Hot Dog Casserole
Variation from Hungry Girl
Makes six 1 1/2 cup size servings
179 calories per serving!


1 green bellpepper, seeded and diced
1 white onion, diced
7 40 calorie hot dogs, cut into coins
4 hot dog buns, torn into pieces (not too small though!)
1 1/2 cups egg beaters
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder


  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 pyrex.




  Heat a medium size skillet to medium high, and add the green bellpepper and onion. Stir occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the bellpepper is soft. It's okay if it is a bit blackened. This will take between 8 and 10 minutes. Once they are done cooking, transfer them to a bowl. Add the seven sliced hot dogs and garlic powder to the bowl. Tear up your hot dog buns over the bowl. Keep the pieces at least the size of a quarter, as you will want them to form a nice solid base for your casserole and if the pieces are too small this will not happen. Add the egg beaters and mix until everything is evenly distributed. 



 Transfer the contents of the bowl to the pre-greased pyrex. Using a spoon or spatula, make sure it is spread evenly. Place into the oven and bake 35-40 minutes, or until the casserole is firm.


  Now you can go crazy with all of your favorite low calorie hot dog toppings, or if you are feeling naughty even a bit of chili. The possibilities are endless, and this is a fun low calorie way to get your hot dog fix. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment