Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mom's stuffed peppers.

  Eek, sorry I disappeared for a week. As you all know, life happens. Things get busy sometimes. I've had a lot of medical stuff happening over the span of the last few days. It isn't all bad stuff, but it's positive. It's been a draining experience, so pardon my absence. I'm back now!

  One of the first things I remember from my childhood was having dinner every night together at the dining table as a family. We would always have a wonderful, full meal that my mother prepared. I remember my dad sometimes teasing her about her choice of dish, and how she would always get flustered. Mom's meals were always special, and will forever be special to me. I went through the devastating ordeal of losing her way too soon, my mother passed when I was only almost eleven. I will always feel the love and warmth she bestowed upon my sister and I, and always have a happy memory whenever I have the dishes she prepared for us when I was little. When I went back to visit my family in September, my father entrusted me with two special dish towels. Why are they special? They were mom's treasured towels. The ones that sat on the front of the oven for only decor, and if you touched them hell would freeze over. Fourteen years later, they are my treasured towels hanging on the front of my oven in our house. Mommy, this one is for you.

Mom's stuffed peppers
Serves two


2 green bellpeppers
1/2 lb ground turkey, preferably lean
1/4 of a white onion, diced
1/2 cup of pasta sauce, with a few tablespoons extra to top the peppers
1/2 cup of Mexican style rice
1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg, beaten)
1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
A few dashes of ground pepper

Optional: 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese

  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.


  Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut the tops off of the peppers, and remove the seeds. Once the water is boiling, submerge both peppers in the water. Let them boil in the water for five minutes.


  In a separate bowl, combine the egg beaters, pasta sauce and onion. Mix well. Add the ground turkey to the mixture. Add all remaining ingredients except for the optional mozzarella and extra sauce. Mix well so everything is distributed evenly.


  After the peppers have boiled for five minutes, carefully remove them from the pot using tongs and rinse them in cold water. Place them into an oven safe dish. Split the filling in half, or distribute it so both of the peppers are filled to the top. I find this recipe always makes just enough to fill two larger sized peppers to the brim. Top with a bit of pasta sauce and a light sprinkle of mozzarella cheese if you wish. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 50 minutes.


  This makes for a fantastic, satisfying meal that is both low in calories but also packs a bit of protein. You can make this with plain white rice as well, but the flavor is not as good without the Mexican rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment