Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie for two

  Today was a day to celebrate. Despite what I thought, I got some great news from my doctor. After eight months of series of blood tests, medications, and dozens of appointments we finally got the results we've been working on. I wanted to have a party with my doctor, but it might have been kind of awkward considering his specialty. Instead, I decided I wanted a little treat tonight. Tonight, I would make pot pie from scratch!

LC's Chicken Pot Pie para Dos


2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced.
1 celery stalk, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
Half of a white onion, diced small
2 cups of 99% fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
1 to 1 1/2 cups of 2% milk, to taste
1/4 cup flour + 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 cup peas, can be canned or frozen.
2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter light.  (You can use butter instead, but it will add 120 calories)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 small portion pie crust, half of one of the balls from my previous recipe.



  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. For this recipe I will be using two ramekins as my baking dish. One is 7 oz and I believe the other is at least 12-14 oz. Brown the diced chicken over medium heat in a deep skillet. While it is cooking, dice up all of the vegetables. Once the chicken is done browning and looks cooked through, remove it from the skillet and place on a plate for the time being. Melt one tablespoon of your ICBINB, then dump the carrots, celery and onion on top of it. You will add the peas later! Allow the vegetables to cook until the onion starts to become transparent, this takes about 8 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of flour to the vegetables. Stir so it is well combined. Add the chicken broth, stir. Add the milk, one tablespoon of ICBINB and stir. Allow to cook on medium low for five minutes. It should only boil slightly, if at all. Stir frequently, or it will get a bit clumpy. Once the five minutes has elapsed, add the chicken to the liquid mixture as well as the peas, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.


  Distribute the soup between the two ramekins. You might have a little extra, but thankfully I had a willing helper that was willing to assist with some taste testing.


 Roll out your dough just so it's large enough to cover the top of your ramekin. My ramekin's do not have much of a lip, so I simply crimped around the sides. If yours do have a lip, I suggest going around the corners with a fork to create a nice seal.. and it looks prettier! Cut a couple of vents into the center of each pot pie, or it will burst and boil over. Place onto a baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes or until the crust is browned.


 An ugly pan is a well loved pan. Pot pie doesn't have to be completely bad for you. Portioning with ramekins makes this a nice treat to have every once in a while, and won't even require those extra big pants tomorrow. This is relatively easy to make, and has become another on the list of repeats here. I hope you enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment