Friday, April 20, 2012

LC's PB & Banana French Toast


  Two incredible things happened to me yesterday. Okay, maybe it's only considered incredible if you love food as much as I do, but it's still exciting. The first incredible thing? Thanks to a overripe banana sitting on my kitchen counter I discovered I could create delicious low calorie banana french toast for under 300 calories. The second incredible thing?



   I discovered PB2 while I was at the commissary. I love peanut butter, but even lower calorie varieties still have the ouch factor when it comes down to it. Elvis would be disappointed if he couldn't have peanut butter with his bananas, but then again Elvis clearly didn't care about a healthier diet! Now that i've state my love for peanut butter, i'll let you know that i'm pretty picky since i'm a PB connoisseur. I was wary about powdered peanut butter, but I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

  Because I am so dedicated, and because I love you all so much I decided I just had to eat practically the same breakfast two days in a row. I mean, I had to inform you of the results with peanut butter and without.. right?

LC's PB & Banana French Toast
Serves one
Calories per serving: 278.5 for two pieces!!

1/3 cup Eggbeaters Egg Whites
1 small-medium banana, coined
1 tablespoon PB2, with 2 teaspoons of water to make paste
2 tablespoons milk of choice (I use 2%)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 slices of low calorie bread (the kind I use is 100 calories for two slices)
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Splenda
Butter flavored Pam spray
Optional: Drizzle of syrup





Start by pre-heating a small and large skillet on medium. Spray each skillet with a couple of spritzes of Pam, or go for butter if you don't care about the additional calories. In a bowl that has a wide opening, combine 1/3 cup eggbeaters eggwhites, 2 tablespoons of milk, a dash of nutmeg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. 





In the smaller skillet, arrange the banana coins so all of the pieces are making contact with the skillet. Let them sit for a few minutes. Flip when the underside turns a nice golden color around the edges. Repeat for the other side. This should take about 3 minutes per side. Plate when they are ready to your taste and set aside for what I lovingly call the construction phase.




Now the bread can be a little time sensitive, as this bread gets soggy quickly and can fall apart if you aren't too careful. Do one piece at a time to keep this from happening. Dredge each side of the bread in the egg mixture. Before transferring to the skillet, lightly sprinkle one side with cinnamon and a light dusting of Splenda. Put that side facing down into the skillet. Sprinkle the side facing up with cinnamon and Splenda. Repeat with the second slice. Observe the giant skillet the husband bought me because he loves me and fuels my cooking addiction! Check the underside of the french toast after about a minute, flip when it's a nice golden color. The other side will cook much more quickly so make sure to check frequently. Plate your french toast. It's time for construction!


 In a smaller tupperware, dump the PB2 powder and add water. Stir to combine, it should make a nice spreadable paste. Smear this across one of the french toast slices. Arrange the banana ontop of this, placing the second slice of french toast on top like a sandwich once completed. Drizzle a little syrup on your creation if you want. I don't do the sugar-free low calorie type because I hate the taste.. be creative! Prepare to enjoy a bit of decadence without having to break your waistline. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment